Sunday, April 29, 2012

Server

So I recently converted my tower desktop from a multi-boot desktop to a server.  I found that with the numerous laptops in the house I never had want to sit in front of the stationary desktop.  First, it's in my unfinished basement.  It gets cold down there in the winter and it isn't well lit either.  Second,  I found that my laptops could do everything that the desktop could do.

I chose the Ubuntu Server 11.10 for my installation. I was familiar with Ubuntu desktop at home and I had used the server edition at work as well.  I've found that I couldn't have made a better choice.

I installed a few things to make the server interesting.

  • DNS.  I'm able to use www.halverson.net on my local network.  
  • MySQL.  I have a test Java app that I like to play with every now and again and the app is backed by MySQL.
  • SSH.  Remote management is the greatest.  I still don't have to sit down there and work with the computer.
  • Apache HTTP and Tomcat.  For running the aforementioned app.
  • World Community Grid.  The server runs 24x7 so I'm making good use of the CPU for a good cause.
The major challenge I had was setting up the DNS.  I think the directions on the Ubuntu server guide were clear, but only after I had it working.  Further, I found that I couldn't get my router to recognize a primary and secondary DNS without the secondary finding the www.halverson.net outside of the network.  I'm not sure why that is.

It seems if I've made use of a computer that is near end of life.  I'm glad I did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment